Re: Power Supply

W0LEV

QUOTE:  " So you all know, I went from decades of a near 6-figure income pre-COVID to social security
                payments today, and I understand the loss of disposable hobby income."

This sez it all, Jim.  I've been in your shoes, but my "reduction in income" came about 11 years ago when I took early retirement from a very political electrical engineering position (EMC/RFI).  Then we lost everything in a forest fire in 2012.  Insurance took care of the house, but not much else.  We started over on Social Security.........  Yes, those near 6-figure incomes (and sometimes more with bonuses) are nice while they last.

I also understand your reservations about dried out electrolytics.  So far, I've not had that problem, even with some I'm sure are at least 3 decades "old".  Lucky??  Well, luck is a fictitious concept.  It doesn't exist in reality.  If you bring older electrolytics up slowly through an appropriate resistor, one can usually reform the dielectric.

I often wonder about my Ameritron AL-82 with 8 capacitors each rated at 450 VDC and 210 µF.  That amounts to 3.6 kV for the string.  My no-load voltage sets right at 3.6 kV and at times a bit over.  I'd feel a lot better if there were 10 caps in the string!  But it works OK.  If they ever blow, I'll add two more.  I'm 75 and likely they will last me to my pine box.

Dave - WØLEV

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 10:25 PM Jim Strohm <jim.strohm@...> wrote:
I have to ask -- "new" or "NOS"?

The date code will tell, and $$ON WON'T tell their storage history,
even if they knew it.  Their idea of "new" is "never installed or
powered up."

I have a couple of half-century+ old ARC radios like that.  I don't
think that they'd work if I put power to them, but they sure look
nice.

For stuff that I consider mission-critical, like filter caps, I want
stuff that'll last for at least most of my remaining life.  I'm only
64, so I'd like to see 20 years.  If I put a 20-year-old e-lytic into
service, I may need to replace it ... tomorrow.  So I like to buy new.

And hence my remarks about dried-up granny components.  I hope others
will adopt this terminology.  I also hope that a few of us will adopt
buying new 105C-rated e-lytics for their big amp filter banks.  Yes,
they cost more up front.  Much more.  How do you feel about replacing
cheap caps in 5 years or 10, when maybe you're not as able to pick up
your amp and put it on the bench, or pay for replacement caps?

So you all know, I went from decades of a near 6-figure income
pre-COVID to social security payments today, and I understand the loss
of disposable hobby income.

73
Jim N6OTQ

--