fl-2500 Yaesu

Craig Rowling

I picked up one today at hamfest. 1 tube had the plate resistor broken solder joint to coil. Now relay seems “semi-stuck”? With power on the amp on but in standby radio receiver signal is very low. It’s the same in operate mode although you can see the relay movement. Also at my initial install the receiver was ok. I think it’s gonna need 1 tube as it was glowing purple during tune up. Any ideas? It’s going to be a hard job to remove relay as it’s hard wired with short coax lengths. Also I wonder if any nos 6kd6 tubes exist. Craig ky4pi

Jim Strohm

NOS 6KD6 tubes cost about as much as new 3-500Zs

73
Jim N6OTQ

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 3:04 AM Craig Rowling via groups.io
<crowling63@...> wrote:

I picked up one today at hamfest. 1 tube had the plate resistor broken solder joint to coil. Now relay seems “semi-stuck”? With power on the amp on but in standby radio receiver signal is very low. It’s the same in operate mode although you can see the relay movement. Also at my initial install the receiver was ok. I think it’s gonna need 1 tube as it was glowing purple during tune up. Any ideas? It’s going to be a hard job to remove relay as it’s hard wired with short coax lengths. Also I wonder if any nos 6kd6 tubes exist. Craig ky4pi

Lou WA5LOU

Craig -

Just a couple of places you can get the tube.

73

Lou WA5LOU

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 4:04 AM Craig Rowling via groups.io <crowling63=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I picked up one today at hamfest. 1 tube had the plate resistor broken solder joint to coil. Now relay seems “semi-stuck”?  With power on the amp on but in standby radio receiver signal is very low. It’s the same in operate mode although you can see the relay movement. Also at my initial install the receiver was ok.  I think it’s gonna need 1 tube as it was glowing purple during tune up. Any ideas? It’s going to be a hard job to remove relay as it’s hard wired with short coax lengths. Also I wonder if any nos 6kd6 tubes exist.  Craig ky4pi

Donald Hellen

Craig . . .

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 04:04:12 -0400, "Craig Rowling via groups.io"
<crowling63@...> wrote:

Also I wonder if any nos 6kd6 tubes exist
Are these what are used in the FL-2500? I know most TV sweep tubes are expensive
nowadays. Hamfests will be your best bet for price, if you can find any.

Donald KX8K

Donald Hellen

Looks like if you can get a filament voltage of 36 volts in there somehow, you
can use the 36V version 36KD6 and save $20 per tube.

Some do that with one of the FT-101 series of transceivers, I believe, only it's
a 22 or 24 volt tube replacing a 6 or 12 volt one. Big savings on tubes, but you
need another filament transformer to provide the odd voltage.

Donald KX8K

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 08:50:46 -0400, "Lou WA5LOU" <loueverettsr@...> wrote:

You can get your 6KD6 here: https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=6kd6

Craig Rowling

Fixed with tube and relay repair and fans lubed. How ever 20 meters I get no amplification when trying to use amp. SWR goes off the scale when keying amp. I noticed someone had 1 of the wires from the band switch going to tuning coil swapped over 1 winding (tap) left and right of where it is now. Solder on the coil gave this away. All other bands work ok except 20 meter. Is it possible the band switch wire is soldered to the wrong tap. The manual i found online is non descriptive of which coil tap is used for which band. TIA. Craig ky4 pi

On Aug 8, 2022, at 4:04 AM, CRAIG ROWLING <crowling63@...> wrote:

I picked up one today at hamfest. 1 tube had the plate resistor broken solder joint to coil. Now relay seems “semi-stuck”? With power on the amp on but in standby radio receiver signal is very low. It’s the same in operate mode although you can see the relay movement. Also at my initial install the receiver was ok. I think it’s gonna need 1 tube as it was glowing purple during tune up. Any ideas? It’s going to be a hard job to remove relay as it’s hard wired with short coax lengths. Also I wonder if any nos 6kd6 tubes exist. Craig ky4pi
Sent from my iPhone

Craig Rowling

Donald. Yes the fl-2500 uses five 6kd6 tubes.  Fortunately I had a couple of nos 6lf6’s left over from the 1970’s cb Palomar amp days to replace the broken one. I had to change the plate cap to a larger one to fit the 6lf6 lol. Palomar used 6kd6 tubes as drivers and 6lf6 as finals. The 6lf6 tubes are a bit more rugged and were used in 25” TV sets.  As the 6kd6 were used in the 20” and smaller crt’s. I found the 6kd6’s nos running from $39.99-$59.99. Thanks to all who responded. For $200 I think I got a decent purchase. Craig ky4pi

Donald Hellen

Good price!

I paid double that for an 811-based amp (Ameritron 811H). It may eventually have
572B tubes installed.

Donald KX8K